British Airways has announced a new codeshare agreement with China Eastern Airlines, the 2nd largest airline in China, utilising their hubs in Shanghai Pudong (PVG) and Chengdu (CTU).
The agreement enables BA customers to book selected flights via Shanghai Pudong, or Chengdu, to Xi’an, Nanjing, Chongqing and Kunming. The two letter airline code for China Eastern is MU and they are the second largest airline by passenger numbers in China with their main hubs at Shanghai Pudong, Beijing, Kunming and Xi’an.
• Xi’an in northwest China, is one of the historical centres, home of the Terracotta Army.
• Nanjing in the east, with a large inland port on the Yangtze River Delta, is a modern city of over 8 million people but with an ancient past and many top universities.
• Chongqing, the largest city in the southwest, with access to the mountainous Three Gorges region.
• Kunming is the capital of Yunnan province in southwest China and is a major transportation hub with road or rail access to Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar to the south.
• Hangzhou, located on Hangzhou Bay in the east of China, is classed as one of the most scenic cities in the country, with the UNESCO World Heritage Site of West Lake.